The month of November is upon us bringing many good things . . . Thanksgiving, Election Day, Veteran’s Day, Black Friday and the start of the holiday season. For some of us writers, November brings a period of temporary insanity known as National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The goal of which is to write a 50,000 – word novel. For you Trekkies, I can liken it to the time Spock experienced the pon farr, the Vulcan mating period when Vulcans get “blood fever” and went temporarily insane. For choc-a-holics or coffee addicts, it’s similar to anytime you need your coffee or chocolate and for some reason you can’t have it, so you act a little crazy until you get it.
Writing 50,000 words in 30 days IS an act of insanity. I’ve survived twice and inexplicably come back for more. In order to accomplish my goal this year, I’ve made a vow to not procrastinate so for the month of November I promise I will not:
1. Watch any Law & Order marathons. (I hear that is on every hour of the day somewhere in the world, so I’m sure they won’t miss my viewership)
2. Decide to call friends I haven’t seen or spoken to in ten years.
3. Read my spam email.
4. Constantly re-dial the Dancing with the Stars line so I can vote against Nancy Grace.
5. Re-organize my non-existent sock drawer.
Go shopping on Black Friday. Go to Target. Shop for long johns. (I live in GA)
7. Keep up with the Kardashians.
8. Talk to my spouse. (Okay, I guess that one is unavoidable.)
9. Go to work. (I guess that one is unavoidable too, since I’m not independently wealthy.)
10. Make To-Do (or Not- To- Do) lists.
Bonus: No Tweeting, Facebooking or Blogging unless it’s about my writing project.
Follow me on Twitter or like my facebook page and see how well I do.